1943 Camouflage Utility Jacket and trousers
Worn in training and in jungle combat. Donated to Paekakariki Station Museum by a retired Marine.
1942 Herringbone Dungaree jacket
Cotton herringbone twill dungaree jacket and trousers were the normal wear in camp, and worn by Marines in the early days of the war.
A Marine often decorated his ‘seabag’ (called a kitbag by New Zealand troops) with unit emblems, ports of call and battlefields.
Winter Service Dress uniform, trousers and jacket with khaki shirt and tie
‘Dress greens’, with collared shirt and tie were worn on formal occasions or when on leave in the city. Given to Paekakariki Station Museum by Corporal Hal Shafer.
Unofficial shoulder patch of Second Marine Division personnel from the battle for Guadalcanal.
The Eagle, Globe & Anchor since 1868 is the emblem of the United States Marine Corps. It consists of a globe which signifies the Corps readiness to service in any part of the world. The Eagle represents the United States. The Anchor, which dates back to the founding of the Corps in 1775, acknowledging their Naval tradition as “Soldiers from the Sea”.
Service & Campaign decoration ribbon
Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon with 1 Star (Guadalcanal & Tarawa Campaigns)Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal/Ribbon with 3 Stars World War II Victory Medal/Ribbon (Not Shown).
Field Shoes “Boondockers”
US Marine shoes had a high top as protection against mud and sharp objects.
Canvas Leggings were worn at the beginning of the war. They were difficult to put on and take off and did not provide much protection.
These bottles were dug up from a disposal pit beside the tram line 200 metres from here. They include a small American beer bottle, a Coca Cola bottle marked ‘San Diego, Calif.’ and a soft drink bottle from Thompson and Lewis, Wellington as well as New Zealand standard beer bottle.
Baseball and bat
For most New Zealanders baseball and softball were novelties. Crowds came to watch demonstration games.
Every Marine carried a folding shovel (‘entrenching tool’) to scrape a hole as protection against enemy fire.